Emmie Mears is hosting a flash fiction challenge that is open until midnight EST on July 30. The full story is HERE but I've clipped the pertinent bits below!
Theme: The day before the end of the world.
- The twist? It’s an unexpected apocalypse.
- The catch? You must use the phrase “end of the world” somewhere in your story.
You can play this concept however you choose.
You could write about people trying to bring about the end of the world.
Or you could write about people who are totally oblivious to their own impending doom.
Or silly people who think they’re bringing about the end of the world whilst totally oblivious to their own impending doom.
One Rule: Don’t show the end of the world. Your characters don’t know it is their last day on earth.
Genre: Any — but you know how much I love fantasy.
Word Count: 500 words or less.
Dates: July 15-30. Closes midnight EST on July 30.
- First Place: Aside from my unwavering love and devotion, the first place winner will receive a $25 Amazon gift card and an in-depth critique of the first 5,000 words of your manuscript. AND, a nifty Victor Badge and bragging rights.
- Second Place: The second place winner will receive an in-depth critique of the first 3,000 words of your manuscript. You will also get the Survivor Badge and brags!
- Readers’ Choice: After the contest has closed, I will give YOU a chance to weigh in on the candidates. The Readers’ Choice winner will receive a highlight on my blog and a this awesome Chosen Badge.